Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Moonstone / Review

Author: Wilkie Collins
Paperback: 560 pages
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0199536724


Book Description:

Called "the first and greatest of English detective novels" by T.S.Eliot, The Moonstone is a masterpiece of suspense. A fabulous yellow diamond becomes the dangerous inheritance of Rachel Verinder. Outside her Yorkshire country house watch the Hindu priests who have waited for many years to reclaim their ancient talisman, looted from the holy city of Somnauth. When the Moonstone disappears the case looks simple, but in mid-Victorian England no one is what they seem, and nothing can be taken for granted.Witnesses, suspects, and detectives each narrate the story in turn. The bemused butler, the love-stricken housemaid, the enigmatic detective Sergeant Cuff, the drug-addicted scientist--each speculate on the mystery as Collins weaves their narratives together. The Moonstone transcends the genre of detective novel or murder mystery.

My Review:
Being a fan of Wilkie Collins, I have read many of his novels, my favorite being The Woman In White. Some will say The Moonstone is his best work; although, I tend to differ. I found it a bit slower than Woman In White, but still a good victorian read that no one should miss.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent read! I love Victorian mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat well, I'm off to the library this morning, & will seek this out. I should have been born in/lived in the Victorian era - am hopeless! Live in a modern unit with one room dedicated to all things Victorian - love it!
    Greetings from Australia
    Kathleen (SoulDragon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I read this book for a Detective Fiction class a couple of years ago and I agree that Collins has better novels. It's still a classic though and a great example of early detective fiction.

    ReplyDelete