Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Woman In White / Movie Version

In recent months, as I've tracked down the well-known, and the obscure in Popular Victorian Fiction, I've found that a great many of the classics which are still in print, have a corresponding movie version. All one need do is to search internet sellers such as Amazon.com.

Lately, after finishing a piece of Victorian literature, I've ordered the movie version and in turn been happily reminded of the book and greatly entertained.

This afternoon, I watched Masterpiece Theatre's "The Woman In White" by Wilkie Collins on DVD, starring Tara Fitzgerald and Justine Waddell.

The movie takes about 2 hours to watch and does not, exactly, follow the book, but I did find it full of suspense and entertaining.

I would definitely recommend the movie, although, one should first read Collins' exceptional masterpiece.






4 comments:

  1. I've read "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. I loved it. I've also read "The Moonstone." He was a wonderful author. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea- The Moonstone is on my "to read" list and waiting on my bookshelf. I LOVED "The Woman in White" too. I'm also looking forward to reading his "Haunted Hotel"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading "The Woman in White" and enjoyed it for the most part, but it took a long time to read! I appreciate your review of this movie version. It sounds closer to the book than the 1948 film version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book is truly wonderful and if you liked the movie from Masterpiece Theater you'll like the old movie from 1948.

    ReplyDelete