Sunday, June 7, 2009

Elizabeth Barrett Browning


Sonnet 27 - My own Beloved, who hast lifted me


My own Beloved, who hast lifted me

From this drear flat of earth where I was thrown,

And, in betwixt the languid ringlets, blown

A life-breath, till the forehead hopefully

Shines out again, as all the angels see,

Before thy saving kiss! My own, my own,

Who camest to me when the world was gone,

And I who looked for only God, found thee!

I find thee; I am safe, and strong, and glad.

As one who stands in dewless asphodel

Looks backward on the tedious time he had

In the upper life,—so I, with bosom-swell,

Make witness, here, between the good and bad,

That Love, as strong as Death, retrieves as well.


By- Elizabeth Barrett Browning


After reading this poem, which line do you like best?

6 comments:

  1. And I who looked for only God, found thee

    That's my favorite line. It catches at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon- That's mine, too. Isn't it beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last line-what a moving poem.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dixie- Thank you for your comment. Yes, this poem is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete